Recently TJ and I have were in an inservice meeting for his work, and were reminded of the myriad promises the Lord has made to those who will diligently and consistently study the Book of Mormon. I was inspired to help the older kids start their own habits of daily study, while of course improving my own. I rounded up four amazing quotes from modern prophets, which list the blessings that come from studying the Book. I made a special chart on our fridge with these quotes, along with a magnet for each of us to put up when we've read for the day. I gave a special home evening lesson every week for three weeks, each time featuring a different quote and sharing my personal experiences.
The response was lukewarm, at first. Ezra has been more consistent, though, and has remarked that he feels happier and more energetic on days when he's read. Eliza, though, has been a harder sale. She just felt that it was too boring.
Then, during our weekly interview last week, I encouraged her to read every day, even if it was just one verse. If she wanted to read more than that, certainly she could. But one verse was less intimidating and was something she felt certain she could commit to. And, as I was hoping...she got hooked! She has been reading several verses every day since then, and falling in love with the story line of First Nephi. Today she has been reading for over an hour, and no end in sight.
TJ says it'll fizzle out when she hits the Isaiah chapters, and maybe he's right. But even if she takes those one verse at a time, she will be entitled to the special spirit of that great book. And someday, she'll finish it. And I think by that time, she'll already know it's true.
The response was lukewarm, at first. Ezra has been more consistent, though, and has remarked that he feels happier and more energetic on days when he's read. Eliza, though, has been a harder sale. She just felt that it was too boring.
Then, during our weekly interview last week, I encouraged her to read every day, even if it was just one verse. If she wanted to read more than that, certainly she could. But one verse was less intimidating and was something she felt certain she could commit to. And, as I was hoping...she got hooked! She has been reading several verses every day since then, and falling in love with the story line of First Nephi. Today she has been reading for over an hour, and no end in sight.
TJ says it'll fizzle out when she hits the Isaiah chapters, and maybe he's right. But even if she takes those one verse at a time, she will be entitled to the special spirit of that great book. And someday, she'll finish it. And I think by that time, she'll already know it's true.
No comments:
Post a Comment